Strong Advocacy For A Favorable Alimony Decree
For couples who are divorcing, alimony can be one of the most contentious issues to resolve. Whether your relationship with your former partner is amicable or contentious, alimony disputes can contribute additional stress to an already-difficult separation or divorce. This difficult financial matter requires competent legal counsel from an experienced advocate.
At The Barnett Firm, we provide knowledgeable guidance and aggressive representation for East Tennessee residents in their alimony disputes. Our attorneys will work with you to determine the outcome that is best for your personal circumstances, then work aggressively to achieve it. In some cases, this may involve private negotiations; for others, it may involve trying your case in court. With over a decade of experience successfully resolving our clients’ alimony disputes, The Barnett Firm will confidently strive for the results that you need.
Understanding The Four Types Of Alimony In Tennessee
Before appearing in court to receive your alimony decree, it is important to understand the four categories of spousal support that are available in Tennessee. These include:
- Rehabilitative alimony, which assists a spouse who does not have the earning power of their spouse to return to school or obtain training to earn a comparable income.
- Alimony in Futuro, or Periodic Alimony, or financial support over a long period of time. The court usually awards it to a spouse who cannot return to the workforce after marriage.
- Transitional Alimony, which the court awards over a finite period to ease a spouse’s financial transition after the divorce.
- Alimony in Solido, or Lump Sum Alimony, is a type of alimony paid in a lump sum or in several installments.
The type of alimony you will pay or receive depends on a variety of factors such as:
- The length of your marriage
- You and your spouse’s incomes and earning capabilities
- You and your spouse’s separate assets and marital assets
- Whether you currently pay or receive child support
- The standard of living to which each spouse is accustomed
- How much each spouse contributed to the household
Discuss Your Alimony Case With An Attorney
To discuss how to obtain a favorable resolution to your alimony case, contact a lawyer with The Barnett Firm. Call our Knoxville location at or send an email.
7417 Kingston Pike Suite 203 Knoxville, TN 37919